The lab work you have been patiently waiting for comes back normal…yet you know something just isn’t right! Do you know how to decipher the hidden clues and prepare for possible complications? Do you wish you had more confidence in your interpretation skills?
Look beyond the numbers and finally understand what the values mean. Master lab interpretation with this cutting-edge program that will provide you with in-depth knowledge of the full spectrum of lab tests used today. Learn the hidden clues of labs, understand why they are ordered, discern the pathophysiology behind abnormal values, and anticipate the types of symptoms your patient will show as the values deteriorate or improve.
Gain the confidence you need to manage the next patient emergency.
- Evaluate the results of Coagulation Studies (PT/INT and PTT).
- Analyze a Complete Blood Count with Differential and discuss clinical applications (Anemias, Left Shifts, Infections, etc.).
- Recognize the clinical implications of metabolic panels.
- Distinguish between life-threatening electrolyte imbalances, as well as potential causes and remedies.
- Predict renal function based on BUN, Creatinine, BUN/CR ratio, and GFR.
- Interpret cardiac panel results in a suspected acute myocardial infarction.
- Analyze blood gases and pertinent clinical implications.
- Differentiate between bacterial meningitis and viral meningitis based on lumbar puncture findings.
- Recognize the key clinical indicators and implications for infection on a urinalysis.
Getting the Most Out of the CBC
- Identifying the Cause of Abnormal Findings
- Understanding the Significance of LFTs
- The Left Shift Explained
- Transfusions and Unplanned Complications
Beyond the “Basics” of the BMP
- When “Normal” Doesn’t Represent Homeostasis
- Important Implications for Patient Management
- Anticipated EKG Changes
- When to Watch and When to Treat
Liver Labs and Coagulation Complications
- CMP: Indications and Implications
- Master the Clotting Cascade
- Recognizing Life-threatening Complications
- Current Treatment Strategies
- The Right Lab Test for the Medication
- Managing DIC
Cardiac Labs: Time is Muscle!
- Integrating Findings into the Comprehensive Cardiac Assessment
- Oxygenation, Ventilation, Acid-Base Status and More
- Patient Monitoring Guidelines
- Optimizing Therapy
Preventing Endocrine Emergencies
- Responding to Critical Lab Findings
- Preventing Complications
- The Dangers of Insulin Replacement
- Patient Safety Considerations
ABGs: Identifying the Underlying Abnormality
- Interpretation: It’s Easier Than You Think!
- Treatment Strategies for Acidosis and Alkalosis
- Understanding the Body’s Compensatory Efforts
Preventing & Treating Infections
- Early Signs of Sepsis and Septic Shock
- Protocols: What Works and What’s Next
- Lumbar Puncture Indications
Identifying the Cause of Acute Renal Failure
- Critical Values: Creatinine, BUN, GFR Putting It All Together
- First Line Interventions