Betsy Shandalov – Pain Management & Neuroplasticity Using Yoga, Meditation, & Mindfulness
- Betsy Shandalov
- 4 Hours
- Audio and Video
- Jul 29, 2020
Research shows yoga, meditation and mindfulness not only help chronic pain but also change the brain structure on how pain is perceived and its impact on overall wellness. In this session, you’ll learn evidence-based interventions to transform the nervous system around your clients’ pain, such as: breathing techniques to activate the parasympathetic nervous system; active and restorative yoga poses; yoga and meditation to help clients find balance of mind and body; changing energy levels to help with pain management; and individualized pain treatment plans that incorporate yoga, meditation and mindfulness to help clients be balanced in their body and brain throughout the day!
|Manual – Pain Management & Neuroplasticity Using Yoga, Meditation, & Mindfulness (7.5 MB)||Available after Purchase|
Chronic Pain and the Body
- Long term effects on the brain and body
- How does it affect our brain?
- Neuroplasticity and chronic pain
- Link to depression and anxiety
Transform the Nervous System Around Chronic Pain
- Symptoms of chronic pain nervous system dysfunction
- Yoga, mindfulness and meditation
- Peer reviewed studies on benefits of yoga and meditation
- Diaphragmatic breathing
Breathing Techniques that Calm
- Activate parasympathetic nervous system
- Diaphragmatic breathing
- “Take Five” and alternate nostril breathing
- Yoga poses for all mobility types: seated, standing and lying down.
Individualized Treatment Plans
- Balancing the brain and body throughout the day
- Case study: chronic pain clients
- Include one active, one restorative and one form of breathwork
Role of Self-Compassion and Self-Care in Treatment of Chronic Pain
- Evidence-based research to support
- Case studies on self-compassion and self-care with chronic pain
- Forms of self-compassion and self-care: exercise
- Building immune system vs break it down
Integrative Medicine: Improve Reimbursement
- Implement proper coding tips
- How are yoga therapists being trained?
- Future studies
Betsy Shandalov, OTR /L, C-IAYT, AWC Related seminars and products: 6
Betsy Shandalov, OTR /L, C-IAYT, AWC, has worked as a clinician, educator and supervisor in rehabilitation and community re-entry. She now treats adults and children in a variety of healthcare and educational settings, using Ayurveda, Yoga, Meditation and Mindfulness as her main therapeutic modalities. Her extensive knowledge of disease and disability in a variety of settings combines with her complementary Integrative medicine treatment to provide a new level of understanding of how the brain and the immune system work together for natural and therapeutic healing.
She continues to lecture around the country to encourage and educate other healthcare professionals to learn more about Integrative Medicine and its benefits. Her hope is that if we can teach clients to empower themselves with diet modifications, movement and breath then they can change their lifestyle to prevent injury, heal an existing injury and help with pain management and trauma throughout the lifespan.
Financial: Betsy Shandalov is in private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Betsy Shandalov has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.